Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I'm back!

Well, I am back after my surgery and just thought I would jot down my thoughts over the past week.

On Tuesday before the surgery, I was really busy which is a good thing because it kept my mind off of the next day. I had to go get my blood work done, get a mammogram, run some errands, and got to join some friends for the final adoption ceremony of their precious little boy, it was great. Went to my husband's softball game that night and they lost again, but hey it was fun. Now they just have three games to make-up and the season will be over. Now what will I do on Monday and Tuesday nights?? So all day Tuesday I had to be on a liquid diet, so in total I ate like 4 popsicles all day?? Sounds yummy doesn't it?? Then I had to drink this gross stuff to help clear things out...if you know what I mean...I was going to clear things out all right, I was going to puke it up. This stuff should be outlawed. Oh well, so then on Wednesday morning, we get up and get dressed, the nerves are hitting really hard right now. We get down to the hospital and check in and almost immediately the woman comes out and calls my name....I mean, come on, any other time I would be sitting there for like an hour, but not today!! So we get back there (hubby and I) and I get one of those fancy gowns that they give you, very stylish...but wait you haven't heard the best part yet. They bring in these beautiful white stocking that I have to wear, up to the knees, they are supposed to help with your circulation and help keep you from getting blood clots. They were all the rage!! Oh, and did I mention the booties, very nice as well. I felt so bad, I didn't bring the staff anything. Live and learn.

So then they come in and hook up my IV and get it going then the nurse tells me that I have to take off any jewelry, well the only thing I had on was my wedding ring, so I was a bit reluctant to do this but as I am taking it off the nurse says...in her oh so clever way..."don't worry, you can have it back on the other side"....WHAT!!!!! The other side, now hold on....I didn't sign up for that, I mean I am ready to go...but just not today. So needless to say that got a good laugh from everyone in the room. Then she comes up with another doozy, she is working on my IV and says something to the effect of you will like this better than that big needle, at that point I told her...we are going to have to work on your bedside manner...talking about the other side and the big needle.... this woman must be stopped. She was really nice though.

So then they come to get me and I start to walk out and just assumed that Chris would be going with me...don't ask me why, it is just that we do everything together so I wasn't even thinking when we got up to walk out, so I turned and kissed him and told him I loved him and then I was on my own. Scary, to say the least. As we are walking down the hall, they (the staff) are so nice, they give me this nice little blue hat to wear, I mean these people are generous with their goodies. I walk into the operating room and everyone is setting up, getting ready to slice and dice me, so I thought, well it's now or never. So I say...Good Morning everyone...did everyone sleep well last night, no arguments with the spouses or anything. This got great laughs. I was a hit!! I lay down on the table and they start getting me ready and put the oxygen mask on me and my doctor comes over and is rubbing my shoulder and calming me basically and the woman with the good meds comes in and says....."ok I am here" and folks, that is all she wrote. I was gone.

I woke about 3 hours later to the most intense pain and pressure on my left side and bottom, and shaking like I was in the artic naked. Then they come with those nice warm blankets and this machine whose sole purpose is to blow warm air under your blankets, it was heavenly.

So as far as the pain goes, it was substantial and still hurts today but everyday it is getting a little bit better and that is the only thing that is keeping me going at this point. I keep saying, tomorrow will be better. My darling sweet Chris has done nothing but wait on me hand and foot basically and for that I will always be grateful buit the thing I learned the most in this whole thing is that this man was truly a blessing from God, he was willing to do things for me that most men would just cringe and say call your mother. I know without a doubt that this man was sent from heaven and although it took us both previous marriages and divorces before we found one another, he is the other half of my heart and soul. I love you babe!!

Until next time....be sweet and thank God for the wonderful blessings in your life!!

No comments: